August 21st, 2017: I was surprised to discover this missing in the collection of Self-Portraits. Always good to be reminded of what I loved when I started, to see the distance traveled, and to note that some things haven’t changed.
This author has not written his bio yet.
But we are proud to say that tja contributed 186 entries already.
Entries by tja
I’m very happy to continue in my role as Adjunct Faculty at The American University of Rome. I celebrated my tenth consecutive year in September of 2016. About a month ago they launched a new website and I am most pleased with the careful attention they gave to publicizing their faculty. Here is my new page in […]
The painting was started this past summer on a sunny July morning. The initial result wasn’t satisfying, so a second onsite attempt was made to finish the painting, but it still didn’t turn out the way I would have liked. I went back into the painting in the studio and, after some muddling about, I […]
I was pleased to be a part of a group show held at the Galleria Farini Concept in Bologna this past January. Here is the critique that accompanied the painting in the catalogue.
“Salome” is available for purchase, including the frame, if desired. If you are interested, please contact me.
“The Dig” is available for purchase, including the frame, if desired. If you are interested, please contact me.
“The Night Watch” is available for purchase, including the frame, if desired. If you are interested, please contact me.
Be sure to watch the video on Chrome or Firefox. (It doesn’t work on Safari.)
Thrilled to have been included in the first Discovery VR Atlas video. You’ll catch me at the 2:06 minute mark; I’m doing a sketch in my studio of Claire, one of the members of the Discovery VR team. Many thanks to the entire Discovery VR team: Clarie, Griffin and Cory. As of this writing, the […]
One way to limit the use of photography in the studio: draw from life, paint from the drawing.
- “The Cabinetmaker” on Display at the MEAM Museum in BarcelonaAugust 1, 2021 - 8:43 pm
- Timothy Joseph Allen Included as a ‘Featured Artist’ on the Michael Harding WebsiteJuly 11, 2021 - 10:15 am
- Recent Work by My Students at The American University of RomeJuly 6, 2021 - 10:31 pm
- “The Painter’s Daughter” Selected for the 2021 Exhibition of the Royal Society of Portrait PaintersApril 10, 2021 - 8:45 am
- “The Cabinetmaker” is a Finalist in the ModPortrait 2020 Competition in SpainMarch 2, 2021 - 11:49 am
- The Portrait of M. O.September 12, 2021 - 11:58 am
- Zia RossanaAugust 23, 2021 - 1:05 pm
- Portrait of Angela L.August 22, 2021 - 9:43 am
- The NightstandFebruary 24, 2021 - 8:25 am
- Portrait of Mary and RobertNovember 27, 2020 - 2:00 pm
- Head Study of an Italian ActorNovember 14, 2020 - 2:46 pm
- AslandOctober 13, 2020 - 9:59 pm
- Presenting PADASOR: the New Online Atelier of the Painting and Drawing Art Studio of Rome January 20, 2021
- Learn Oil Painting Online with Interactive Lessons May 5, 2020
- Masterclass in Drawing with Charles Weed: May 4-7, 2020 January 24, 2020
- Renaissance Retreat Highlights from October 2019 November 17, 2019
- The Fundamentals – A Gallery of Student Work September 18, 2019
- Book Note of the Day: the Importance of Instinct August 4, 2021
- “Sinking In” – When Oil Paint Dries Dull and Matte on the Canvas and Why December 29, 2018
- Anthonis Mor: Technical Info on the National Portrait Gallery Website December 9, 2018
- From the Graveyard: Formulas for Flesh – Part I: Caravaggio, Guercino, Reni and Caracci August 19, 2018
- pLog Pith XVII August 19, 2018
- Pigment Analysis in Paintings: Titian, Velazquez, Rembrandt April 20, 2018