I’ve been using Michael Harding paints for as long as I can remember–close to two decades–and when I teach I insist that my students use the same as well. My preference for Michael Harding paints is a combination of three factors: the consistency of the paint is ‘Goldilocks’ (not too thin, not too thick); the […]
This author has not written his bio yet.
But we are proud to say that tja contributed 181 entries already.
Entries by tja
In the Spring of 2021 I had the pleasure to see my first university painting student graduate. Though we only had two years to work together, Stephanie Gandolfi’s Senior Capstone Exhibition—in my humble opinion—demonstrated exceptional technical and conceptual development. Visit the following web page for access to the virtual gallery and a video presentation of […]
“The Painter’s Daughter” is one of two hundred paintings selected for the 2021 exhibition of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters in London. The show will be open for viewing from Thursday May 6th to Saturday May 15th at Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1. You can also preview the show online: https://www.mallgalleries.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/royal-society-portrait-painters-annual-exhibition-2021 For as […]
“The Cabinetmaker” was selected as one of the 70 finalists in the ModPortrait 2020 competition. The first exhibition will be in the Bantierra Palace in Zaragoza, Spain from April to May, 2021. The second will be at the MEAM Museum in Barcelona, Spain in June, 2021. For a look at all of the selected paintings, […]
Learn Oil Painting in English and Italian Online: Join an international group of painters and learn oil painting from the comfort of your own studio
If you would like to learn how I made this painting and follow me through the process from start to finish, you can do so here. If you sign up for a free account, you can watch the first two videos of the course for free.
Below: a time-lapse video of me working on the underpainting.
- Timothy Joseph Allen Included as a ‘Featured Artist’ on the Michael Harding WebsiteJuly 11, 2021 - 10:15 am
- Recent Work by My Students at The American University of RomeJuly 6, 2021 - 10:31 pm
- “The Painter’s Daughter” Selected for the 2021 Exhibition of the Royal Society of Portrait PaintersApril 10, 2021 - 8:45 am
- “The Cabinetmaker” is a Finalist in the ModPortrait 2020 Competition in SpainMarch 2, 2021 - 11:49 am
- Presenting PADASOR: the New Online Atelier of the Painting and Drawing Art Studio of RomeJanuary 20, 2021 - 8:31 am
- Presenting PADASOR: the New Online Atelier of the Painting and Drawing Art Studio of Rome January 20, 2021
- Learn Oil Painting Online with Interactive Lessons May 5, 2020
- Masterclass in Drawing with Charles Weed: May 4-7, 2020 January 24, 2020
- Renaissance Retreat Highlights from October 2019 November 17, 2019
- “Sinking In” – When Oil Paint Dries Dull and Matte on the Canvas and Why December 29, 2018
- Anthonis Mor: Technical Info on the National Portrait Gallery Website December 9, 2018
- From the Graveyard: Formulas for Flesh – Part I: Caravaggio, Guercino, Reni and Caracci August 19, 2018
- pLog Pith XVII August 19, 2018
- Pigment Analysis in Paintings: Titian, Velazquez, Rembrandt April 20, 2018