My sincere thanks to the jury for selecting the painting. The 2018 exhibition will be held at McBride Gallery, located in Annapolis, Maryland, October 28 – November 25, 2018.
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud tja contributed a whooping 155 entries.
Entries by tja
To be a figurative painter in the 21st century is to send a hand-written letter standard post in a world of immediate encrypted text messages or to be a mechanic of a steam engine in an era of rockets to Mars…
The Alumni Association has included me in the most recent edition of their magazine with a feature on the upcoming Renaissance Retreat.
The first portrait to be completed while following the strict diet of “white is light”, instruction on the technique courtesy of Charles Weed.
Jackson’s Art—one of the most popular online art shops in the UK—has featured the Renaissance Retreat with a great story and an interview with me on their blog.
Painting in 1995, my first attempt at a full-size nude yielded a great anecdote of a painter in need of a model.
A good companion to the “Self-Portrait with Armor”. Both with the same hat; both under the watchful eye of the Maestro.
August 21st, 2017: I was surprised to discover this missing in the collection of Self-Portraits. Always good to be reminded of what I loved when I started, to see the distance traveled, and to note that some things haven’t changed.
I’m very happy to continue in my role as Adjunct Faculty at The American University of Rome. I celebrated my tenth consecutive year in September of 2016. About a month ago they launched a new website and I am most pleased with the careful attention they gave to publicizing their faculty. Here is my new page in […]
The painting was started this past summer on a sunny July morning. The initial result wasn’t satisfying, so a second onsite attempt was made to finish the painting, but it still didn’t turn out the way I would have liked. I went back into the painting in the studio and, after some muddling about, I […]
I was pleased to be a part of a group show held at the Galleria Farini Concept in Bologna this past January. Here is the critique that accompanied the painting in the catalogue.
Follow me on Facebook
- From the Graveyard: Formulas for Flesh – Part I: Caravaggio, Guercino, Reni and Caracci August 19, 2018
- pLog Pith XVII August 19, 2018
- Pigment Analysis in Paintings: Titian, Velazquez, Rembrandt April 20, 2018
- Great Interactive Website for a Rubens Show March 11, 2018
- Track the Lives of the Old Masters January 30, 2018
- Presenting the Painting and Drawing Art Studio of Rome Online Store! November 6, 2018
- Video Highlights from the Renaissance Retreat, September 2018 November 5, 2018
- A Materials Checklist for Painting En Plein Air in Rome September 7, 2018
- Shells, Scumbles, Skin and Glazes July 2, 2018