This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud tja contributed a whooping 160 entries.
Entries by tja
This Friday, May 17th, 2019, months of work will come to fruition. I and Denise Melvin, a friend and fellow painter, organized the first ever ‘Rome Salon’; a group show that brings together a total of nine figurative painters in a venue perfect for the occasion: the Sala Margana located just West of Piazza Venezia. […]
The essence of the lecture focused on how a formal analysis can lead to an interpretation of a painting that is different from the implied narrative, an interpretation that can even go far enough to subvert the narrative and accompanying dogma.
My sincere thanks to the jury for selecting the painting. The 2018 exhibition will be held at McBride Gallery, located in Annapolis, Maryland, October 28 – November 25, 2018.
To be a figurative painter in the 21st century is to send a hand-written letter standard post in a world of immediate encrypted text messages or to be a mechanic of a steam engine in an era of rockets to Mars…
The Alumni Association has included me in the most recent edition of their magazine with a feature on the upcoming Renaissance Retreat.
The first portrait to be completed while following the strict diet of “white is light”, instruction on the technique courtesy of Charles Weed.
Jackson’s Art—one of the most popular online art shops in the UK—has featured the Renaissance Retreat with a great story and an interview with me on their blog.
Painting in 1995, my first attempt at a full-size nude yielded a great anecdote of a painter in need of a model.
A good companion to the “Self-Portrait with Armor”. Both with the same hat; both under the watchful eye of the Maestro.
August 21st, 2017: I was surprised to discover this missing in the collection of Self-Portraits. Always good to be reminded of what I loved when I started, to see the distance traveled, and to note that some things haven’t changed.
- Il Laghetto a Villa Borghese May 24, 2019
- Rome Salon: New Works from Figurative Painters in Rome May 12, 2019
- Caravaggio and the Art of Subversion December 30, 2018
- “The Portrait of Arianna” Selected for the Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Exhibition of Traditional Oils October 1, 2018
- A Contemporary Contrarian in a Kingless Court June 17, 2018
- Thank You, Indiana University March 20, 2018
- “Sinking In” – When Oil Paint Dries Dull and Matte on the Canvas and Why December 29, 2018
- Anthonis Mor: Technical Info on the National Portrait Gallery Website December 9, 2018
- From the Graveyard: Formulas for Flesh – Part I: Caravaggio, Guercino, Reni and Caracci August 19, 2018
- pLog Pith XVII August 19, 2018
- Pigment Analysis in Paintings: Titian, Velazquez, Rembrandt April 20, 2018
- Coming April, 2019 – Drawing in Studio and Painting En Plein Air: Masterclass with Charles Weed December 30, 2018
- Homework: Exploring Color, Value and Flesh Tones with a Limited Palette and a Portrait by Velazquez November 23, 2018
- Presenting the Painting and Drawing Art Studio of Rome Online Store! November 6, 2018
- Video Highlights from the Renaissance Retreat, September 2018 November 5, 2018