- 1998-Present—Rome, Italy
- 1992-1998—Bloomington, Indiana
- 1988-1992—Greencastle, Indiana
- 1979-1988—Versailles, Kentucky
- 1971-1979—Nashville, Tennessee
- 1970-1971—Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Born 1970 in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 1996-1998, Masters in Fine Art, Painting—Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Graduate studies included a summer in Florence, Italy
- 1988-1992, Bachelor of Arts (Studio Art Major)—DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana
Studies at DePauw University included:
Professional Development and Continuing Education
- 2016, November, workshop on indirect oil painting techniques with Charles Weed, Tuscany, Italy.
- 2015, October, plein air workshop with Julian Merrow-Smith, Provence, France.
- 2014, January, Master class with Odd Nerdrum, Roedvik gaard, Norway
Two weeks in the painting studio of Odd Nerdrum.
- 2012, January, Master class with Velazquez, London, National Gallery
Made copies of two Velazquez paintings over a four-day period: Portrait of Charles IV and the Rokeby Venus.
- 2010, January, Master class with Odd Nerdrum, Roedvik gaard, Norway
Three weeks in the painting studio of Odd Nerdrum.
- 1993-1996, School for Continuing Studies—Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Italian Studies: Conversation and Grammar, Literature, Poetry (Il Decadentismo) and History of Italian Cinema.
Awards & Exhibitions
- 2018, pre-selected for the 2018 exhibition of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, London, England (February)
- 2017, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2017, pre-selected for the 9th Figurativas Painting and Sculpture Competition 2017, Barcelona, Spain (June)
- 2016, selected for the second annual World Wide Kitsch online painting competition
- 2016, open studio exhibition, “The Night Watch – Paintings and Drawing by Timothy Joseph Allen”, Rome, Italy (May 21st to July 21st)
- 2015, selected for the first annual World Wide Kitsch online painting competition.
- 2015, pre-selected for the 2015 BP National Gallery Portrait Competition.
- 2014, included in the publication The Nerdrum School, The Master and His Students, Hardcover: 256 pages. Publisher: Arvinius + Orfeus (May 31, 2014) Language: English. ISBN-10: 9187543044. ISBN-13: 978-9187543043
- 2013, Pre-Selected for the 7th Figurativas Painting and Sculpture Competition 2013, Barcelona, Spain (June)
- 2010, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2009, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2009, Group Exhibition, Painting—Arte PerOGGI, Il Museo Nazionale dell’Arte Alto Medioevo, Rome, Italy (March 6th – 15th, 2009)
- 2008, Solo Exhibition, Painting & Drawing—Eyes on the Summit, Zigaetana, Rome, Italy (April 7th – June 30th)
- 2008, Group Exhibition, Painting—Arte del Territorio – The Magician’s Assistant, Circolo degli Artisti, Rome, Italy (May 11th, 2008)
- 2008, Group Exhibition, Painting & Drawing—Arte del Territorio – Light & Eclisse, Circolo degli Artisti, Rome, Italy (March 9th)
- 2007, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2007, Solo Exhibition, Drawing—The Anatomy of Light, Cafè Perù, Rome, Italy (October 13th – November 3rd)
- 2007, Group Exhibition, Painting—Identità: Espressioni a Pennello, Palazzo dei Congressi, Rome, Italy (October 5th – October 7th)
- 2007, Premio Arte PerOGGI, third edition—Identità: Espressioni a Pennello, Third Place Finalist
- 2007, Group Exhibition, Drawing—La Porta Blu Gallery, Rome, Italy
- 2006, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2006, Group Exhibition, Drawing—La Porta Blu Gallery, Rome, Italy
- 2006, Group Exhibition, Painting—Egyptian Cultural Center, Rome, Italy
- 2006, Group Exhibition, Painting—Gallerie Benucci, Rome, Italy
- 2006, Premio Culturale Roma Centro Storico, First Edition—Competition Finalist
- 1998, Graduate Exhibition—Indiana University Museum of Art, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1998, Herman B. Wells Fellowship Award—John Waldron Art Center, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1996, “National Society of Arts and Letters”—John Waldron Art Center, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1994, Solo Exhibition—John Waldron Art Center, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1992, Emison Fellowship (recognition of the outstanding senior artist at DePauw)—DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana
Work in Private Collections
- Australia: Sidney
- France: Dijon.
- Italy: Genoa, Milan, Bari, Rome
- USA: Atlanta, Bloomington, Chicago, Cincinnati, Durango, Flagstaff, Lexington, Louisville, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Antonio, Seattle, Versailles, Washington D.C.
Continuing Teaching Experiences
- 2010, February to Present, The Painting & Drawing Art Studio of Rome—Rome, Italy
Founder and Director
- 2006, September to Present, American University of Rome—Rome, Italy
Adjunct Faculty. Courses taught include:
- Art of Rome – Art History Program
- Intermediate Drawing – Fine Art Program
- Italian Sketchbook – Fine Arts Program
- Web Graphics, Coding and Site Design – Communication and English Program
- Senior Capstone Projects – Communication and English Program
Past Teaching Experiences
- 2016, February, School of Visual Arts Rome Program—Rome, Italy
Instructor for three-hour drawing workshop in Centrale Montemartini
- 2012, February, Kent State—Rome, Italy
Guest Lecturer on the Forum and the Colosseum
- 2006, March, Penn State University—Rome, Italy
Guest Lecturer on two subjects:
- On-site discussion of the Vatican and the construction of St. Peter’s Basilica;
- Website workshop with a focus on image optimization and the creation of web galleries.
- 2004 – 2005, Accademia dell’Illustrazione—Rome, Italy
Instructor for “Flash for Illustrators” with a focus on using Macromedia Flash MX as a tool to animate illustrations created in Illustrator.
- 1999, European School of Economics—Rome, Italy
Taught Advanced courses in English as a Foreign Language.
- 1999, Istituto Multilingue—Rome, Italy
Taught Individual and Group courses in English as a foreign language with a focus on speaking and listening proficiency.
- 1997-1998, Indiana University—Bloomington, Indiana
Associate Instructor for courses in “Drawing, Color Theory, Painting, and Sculpture.”
Cookie and Privacy Settings