Timothy Joseph Allen is an American painter living and working in Rome, Italy since 1998. He is firmly rooted in the Classical tradition of figurative art and is principally influenced by the Old Masters of the 17th century. When asked what relevance the past has on contemporary art he replies, “we need to be reminded: there is no beauty without rules and there is no better rule book than nature.”
- 1998-Present—Rome, Italy
- 1992-1998—Bloomington, Indiana
- 1988-1992—Greencastle, Indiana
- 1979-1988—Versailles, Kentucky
- 1971-1979—Nashville, Tennessee
- 1970-1971—Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Born 1970 in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 1996-1998, Masters in Fine Art, Painting—Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Graduate studies included a summer in Florence, Italy
- 1988-1992, Bachelor of Arts (Studio Art Major)—DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana
Studies at DePauw University included:
Professional Development and Continuing Education
- 2016, November, workshop on indirect oil painting techniques with Charles Weed, Tuscany, Italy.
- 2015, October, plein air workshop with Julian Merrow-Smith, Provence, France.
- 2014, January, Master class with Odd Nerdrum, Roedvik gaard, Norway
Two weeks in the painting studio of Odd Nerdrum.
- 2012, January, Master class with Velazquez, London, National Gallery
Made copies of two Velazquez paintings over a four-day period: Portrait of Charles IV and the Rokeby Venus.
- 2010, January, Master class with Odd Nerdrum, Roedvik gaard, Norway
Three weeks in the painting studio of Odd Nerdrum.
- 1993-1996, School for Continuing Studies—Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Italian Studies: Conversation and Grammar, Literature, Poetry (Il Decadentismo) and History of Italian Cinema.
Awards & Exhibitions
- 2017, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2016, finalist in the second annual World Wide Kitsch online painting competition.
- 2016, open studio exhibition, “The Night Watch – Paintings and Drawing by Timothy Joseph Allen”, Rome, Italy (May 21st to July 21st)
- 2015, finalist in the first annual World Wide Kitsch online painting competition.
- 2015, pre-selected for the 2015 BP National Gallery Portrait Competition.
- 2014, included in the publication The Nerdrum School, The Master and His Students, Hardcover: 256 pages. Publisher: Arvinius + Orfeus (May 31, 2014) Language: English. ISBN-10: 9187543044. ISBN-13: 978-9187543043
- 2013, Pre-Selected for the 7th Figurativas Painting and Sculpture Competition 2013, Barcelona, Spain (June)
- 2010, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2009, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2009, Group Exhibition, Painting—Arte PerOGGI, Il Museo Nazionale dell’Arte Alto Medioevo, Rome, Italy (March 6th – 15th, 2009)
- 2008, Solo Exhibition, Painting & Drawing—Eyes on the Summit, Zigaetana, Rome, Italy (April 7th – June 30th)
- 2008, Group Exhibition, Painting—Arte del Territorio – The Magician’s Assistant, Circolo degli Artisti, Rome, Italy (May 11th, 2008)
- 2008, Group Exhibition, Painting & Drawing—Arte del Territorio – Light & Eclisse, Circolo degli Artisti, Rome, Italy (March 9th)
- 2007, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2007, Solo Exhibition, Drawing—The Anatomy of Light, Cafè Perù, Rome, Italy (October 13th – November 3rd)
- 2007, Group Exhibition, Painting—Identità: Espressioni a Pennello, Palazzo dei Congressi, Rome, Italy (October 5th – October 7th)
- 2007, Premio Arte PerOGGI, third edition—Identità: Espressioni a Pennello, Third Place Finalist
- 2007, Group Exhibition, Drawing—La Porta Blu Gallery, Rome, Italy
- 2006, Faculty Professional Development Award—The American University of Rome
- 2006, Group Exhibition, Drawing—La Porta Blu Gallery, Rome, Italy
- 2006, Group Exhibition, Painting—Egyptian Cultural Center, Rome, Italy
- 2006, Group Exhibition, Painting—Gallerie Benucci, Rome, Italy
- 2006, Premio Culturale Roma Centro Storico, First Edition—Competition Finalist
- 1998, Graduate Exhibition—Indiana University Museum of Art, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1998, Herman B. Wells Fellowship Award—John Waldron Art Center, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1996, “National Society of Arts and Letters”—John Waldron Art Center, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1994, Solo Exhibition—John Waldron Art Center, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1992, Emison Fellowship (recognition of the outstanding senior artist at DePauw)—DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana
Work in Private Collections
- Australia: Sidney
- France: Dijon.
- Italy: Genoa, Milan, Bari, Rome
- USA: Atlanta, Bloomington, Chicago, Cincinnati, Durango, Flagstaff, Lexington, Louisville, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Antonio, Seattle, Versailles, Washington D.C.
Continuing Teaching Experiences
- 2010, February to Present, The Painting & Drawing Art Studio of Rome—Rome, Italy
Founder and Director
- 2006, September to Present, American University of Rome—Rome, Italy
Adjunct Faculty. Courses taught include:
- Art of Rome – Art History Program
- Intermediate Drawing – Fine Art Program
- Italian Sketchbook – Fine Arts Program
- Web Graphics, Coding and Site Design – Communication and English Program
- Senior Capstone Projects – Communication and English Program
Past Teaching Experiences
- 2016, February, School of Visual Arts Rome Program—Rome, Italy
Instructor for three-hour drawing workshop in Centrale Montemartini
- 2012, February, Kent State—Rome, Italy
Guest Lecturer on the Forum and the Colosseum
- 2006, March, Penn State University—Rome, Italy
Guest Lecturer on two subjects:
- On-site discussion of the Vatican and the construction of St. Peter’s Basilica;
- Website workshop with a focus on image optimization and the creation of web galleries.
- 2004 – 2005, Accademia dell’Illustrazione—Rome, Italy
Instructor for “Flash for Illustrators” with a focus on using Macromedia Flash MX as a tool to animate illustrations created in Illustrator.
- 1999, European School of Economics—Rome, Italy
Taught Advanced courses in English as a Foreign Language.
- 1999, Istituto Multilingue—Rome, Italy
Taught Individual and Group courses in English as a foreign language with a focus on speaking and listening proficiency.
- 1997-1998, Indiana University—Bloomington, Indiana
Associate Instructor for courses in “Drawing, Color Theory, Painting, and Sculpture.”